Moxidectin (By mouth)
Treats river blindness (onchocerciasis).
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to moxidectin.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, have low blood pressure, edema (swelling), or skin problems (including onchodermatitis).
- This medicine may cause the following problems:
- Skin, eye or vision problems
- Encephalopathy (brain problem) when used in patients infected with another parasite
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting may occur, especially when you get up suddenly from a lying or sitting position. Getting up slowly may help.
- Your doctor will check your progress and the effects of this medicine at regular visits. Keep all appointments.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blurred vision or other changes in vision, eye pain
- Dizziness, lightheadedness, or fainting
- Fast heartbeat, joint or muscle pain or swelling, chills, headache
- Memory loss, behavior changes, seizures, loss of consciousness
- Numbness, tingling, or burning pain in your hands, arms, legs, or feet
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Stomach pain, diarrhea
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 6/18/2019