Procainamide (By injection)
Treats heart rhythm problems.
Brand Name(s):There may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to procainamide or if you have lupus, complete heart block, or torsade de pointes.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your exact dose. This medicine is given through a needle inserted into a vein or into a muscle.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how procainamide works. Tell your doctor if you are also using any of the following:
- Quinidine, disopyramide, or other medicine for heart rhythm problems
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have heart disease, heart failure, an existing heart rhythm problem, or history of heart attack. Tell your doctor if you are allergic to sulfites, aspirin, or procaine or other anesthetic medicine, or if you have liver disease, kidney disease, myasthenia gravis, or asthma.
- This medicine may make you bleed, bruise, or get infections more easily. Take precautions to prevent illness and injury. Wash your hands often.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Change in how much or how often you urinate
- Chest pain that may spread, trouble breathing, nausea, unusual sweating, fainting
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 10/10/2019