Sodium ferric gluconate complex (By injection)
Sodium Ferric Gluconate Complex (SOE-dee-um FER-rik Gloo-koe-nate KOM-plex)
Treats iron deficiency anemia.
Ferrlecit, PremierPro Rx Ferrlecit, Sodium Ferric Gluconate Complex Sucrose NovaplusThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. You should not receive it if you had an allergic reaction to sodium ferric gluconate.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
- Missed dose: This medicine needs to be given on a fixed schedule. If you miss a dose, call your doctor or dialysis clinic for instructions.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- This medicine may reduce your body's absorption of oral iron supplements. Ask your doctor if you have questions about this.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- This medicine may cause low blood pressure for a few hours after it is given.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Chest pain, trouble breathing
- Confusion, weakness, numbness or tingling in your hands, feet, or lips
- Fast, pounding, or uneven heartbeat
- Fever, chills, cough, sore throat, and body aches
- Lightheadedness, dizziness, or fainting
- Rapid weight gain, swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Headache or tiredness
- Leg cramps or pain
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite
- Pain, itching, burning, swelling, or a lump under your skin where the needle is placed
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 8/2/2019