Acetazolamide (By injection)
Treats glaucoma, certain types of epilepsy, and fluid retention (edema).
PremierPro Rx acetaZOLAMIDEThere may be other brand names for this medicine.
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used:This medicine is not right for everyone. Do not use it if you had an allergic reaction to acetazolamide or sulfa drugs, of if you have kidney disease or cirrhosis.
How to Use This Medicine:
- Your doctor will prescribe your dose and schedule. This medicine is given through a needle placed in a vein.
- A nurse or other health provider will give you this medicine.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid:
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Do not take aspirin while you are using acetazolamide unless your doctor tells you to.
Warnings While Using This Medicine:
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have diabetes, or lung or liver disease.
- Your doctor will do lab tests at regular visits to check on the effects of this medicine. Keep all appointments.
- This medicine may make your skin more sensitive to sunlight. Wear sunscreen. Do not use sunlamps or tanning beds.
- This medicine may make you drowsy. Do not drive or do anything that could be dangerous until you know how this medicine affects you.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine:
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Bloody stools or urine
- Dark urine, decrease in how much or how often you urinate, painful urination
- Pain, itching, or burning where your IV needle is placed
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
- Yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Drowsiness or confusion
- Loss of appetite or an unusual taste in your mouth
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Ringing in your ears or trouble hearing
- Vision changes
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
Last Updated: 7/4/2018